While we all grapple with the social and economic impacts of a global pandemic, the Government of Ontario is quietly setting the stage for development projects to proceed without public consultation or the right to appeal. The recent flurry of Minister’s Zoning Orders is fast-tracking development on farmland and greenspace. Expediting this sort of short-sighted development while keeping Ontarians in the dark does not serve the public interest.
Our focus should be on enhancing community resilience to climate change and potential future pandemics. To do so we must enable and support public participation in determining the future of our farmlands, forests, wetlands and other natural areas. Please join us in demanding greater public accountability and enhanced community resilience to climate change.
Across the Greater Golden Horseshoe developers and land speculators are lobbying local governments to allow sprawl-style development on precious natural areas and farmland. They’re using COVID-19 as a smoke screen saying these developments are necessary to get us through the crisis. We need to stop this assault on our natural heritage.
Local governments must focus on protecting the natural spaces, farmland and precious water sources that we all depend on. They need to hear from you, and thousands of others, that you want a COVID-19 Recovery Plan that stops sprawl, grows the Greenbelt and resists the misuse of Minister’s Zoning Orders.
The Government of Ontario is showing its true colours with recent moves to ride roughshod over protections for Provincially Significant Wetlands.
Please join Ontario Nature in urging the Government of Ontario to respect and uphold protections for Provincially Significant Wetlands and to stop its misuse of Minister’s Zoning Orders.
Sign the declaration to show you care about protected places and ask the governments of Ontario and Canada to meet the commitment to protect at least 17 percent of lands and inland waters by 2020.
Please use your voice to support caribou – the grey ghosts of the boreal forest – at: protectcaribou.ca.
Tell the Government of Canada that caribou denial myths must be dispelled, and action must be taken with provinces to plan for caribou recovery and sustainable prosperity. Your voice matters.
You can make an enormous difference and it’s free!
Ontario Nature’s advocates helped with campaigns that led to a conservation plan for the Oak Ridges Moraine, an 80 percent reduction in neonicotinoid pesticides, wetland and woodlot protection, establishment of 2.4 million hectares of new protected areas, and much more.
Recent Action Alerts
- Conservation Authorities Under Fire 2020-12-09
- Procter & Gamble 2020-08-09
- Say No to More Sprawl, Less Nature and Less Farmland 2020-07-31
- Sauble’s piping plovers need you now! 2020-06-25
- Protect species at risk while strengthening the forest industry 2020-06-18
- Share Ontario’s Forests 2020-02-05
- Put nature first in Rondeau Provincial Park 2019-12-18
- Pits and quarries 2019-10-21
- Wolves and coyotes wrongly accused 2019-09-26
- SOS: Save Ontario Species 2019-06-06
- Oppose the senseless slaughter of cormorants 2019-01-03
Previous Action Alerts Continued
- Stop Bill 66: Privileging big business over the people of Ontario 2018-12-14
- We the people are for the environment 2018-16-11
- Caribou can’t survive without a place to live 2018-01-10
- Help secure a historic investment for nature protection in Canada 2018-01-18
- Protect our water 2017-12-08
- Guide stronger protection for nature across the Greater Golden Horseshoe 2017-08-22
- Help at risk caribou persist in the Caribou Forest 2017-05-08
- Stand up for the Greenbelt and stop sprawl for good! 2017-03-20