We have engaged with thousands of people across northern Ontario through our outdoor education activities including birding hikes, wildlife identification workshops, and mushroom collecting, among others. We share our enthusiasm for and love of the outdoors, and sustainable use of our natural environment, in fun and practical ways.
Our current outreach and education programs include leading nature-based activities at local schools, community festivals and summer camps across northwestern Ontario. We also work with conservation-minded tourism operators.
What We Are Doing: Nature-based Tourism
- We are developing new nature-based tourism excursions with industry partners that provide immersive and authentic nature-based experiences and encourage environmental stewardship.
- We provide training workshops for tourism industry partners and operators to ensure their activities are low-impact, educational and fun for their clients.
- We are building stronger ties between Ontario’s active, outdoor community in the Greater Toronto Area and the northwest and Thunder Bay region’s nature tourism sector.
What We Are Doing: Community Engagement
- There are many community events and festivals around northern Ontario, and we try to connect with as many as we can. They provide opportunities to speak with community members about concerns, issues and the unique landscapes we have in northern Ontario. Attending these festivals allow us to meet with communities in a fun way to discuss conservation and nature.
- We are running our own events around Thunder Bay to get locals outside, learning and engaged with nature. We have hosted hundreds of events, like birding walks, tree identification sessions, and lessons on animal tracks and signs. Keep an eye on our events webpage to see what is coming up!