Help us Protect Wetlands This Giving Tuesday
Giving Tuesday is a day for Canadians to give to causes that mean the most to them. This year, Giving Tuesday is on November 29, 2022 and we are raising funds to protect wetlands, which are vital for conserving biodiversity and adapting to the impacts of climate change.
We hope you will help us raise $30,000 to increase protection of our vital wetlands in Ontario.
Why Wetlands Matter
In southern Ontario, we have lost over 70 percent of our wetlands. In Niagara, Toronto, and Essex, Lambton, Kent, Perth and Middlesex counties it’s more than 85 percent. More than 20 percent of the province’s species at risk are directly dependent on wetlands.
Wetlands enhance landscape resilience to many of the anticipated impacts of climate change, including flooding, drought and the loss of biodiversity. Acting as a form of natural infrastructure, wetlands also contribute over $50 billion in economic benefits for Ontarians annually.
Wetlands provide so much to be grateful for. In 2022, let’s do right by wetlands and reciprocate the gift.
With your support, we are working to increase protection of wetlands in Ontario by:
- Conserving and restoring wetlands through our Nature Reserves Program
- Engaging in key battles to protect wetlands from development in your communities – including Bill 23
- Increasing protection for wetland-dependent species at risk like the piping plover, Blanding’s turtle and black ash tree
- Campaigning to protect 25% of Canada’s lands and waters by 2025
- Growing awareness of the link between wetland conservation and climate change mitigation and resilience
- Advocating for stronger laws and policies and that protect vulnerable wetland habitat
When you give today, your Giving Tuesday gift will go even farther. Donations up to $17,500 will be generously matched by our friends at Quest Nature Tours and a long-time Ontario Nature member! We hope you will help us reach our goal of $30,000.
Thank you for protecting Ontario’s wetlands.
You will receive an official charitable tax receipt for your donation.
You can also send your gift by mail to our Toronto office. The address is at the bottom of this webpage. Please indicate that your donation is for Giving Tuesday.