What is Giving Tuesday?
December 1st is Giving Tuesday, a day for Canadians to give to the causes that mean the most to you.
Ontario Nature will be dedicating our Giving Tuesday efforts towards the conservation and restoration of the Sydenham River Watershed in the diverse and fragile Carolinian Zone.
The Sydenham River Watershed, located in Chatham-Kent, Lambton and Middlesex areas, is a biodiversity hotspot in an area under intense pressure as it hosts 25% of the Canadian population. Less than 12% of local forest remains, which threatens many species at risk including the cerulean warbler, eastern wood-pewee and several endangered turtles.
- Restore and survey grassland and Carolinian forest habitat.
- Establish suitable habitat for breeding amphibians in the floodplain.
- Involve the community in volunteer tree planting and other conservation projects.
- Create a long-term conservation plan to protect wildlife and habitat in the Sydenham River Watershed.
- Host workshops with First Nations, conservation organizations, local nature clubs, and private landowners to conduct conservation planning for the watershed.
- Plant 30 acres of grassland and Carolinian forest habitat on our Sydenham River Nature Reserve.
- Create vernal pools on our Sydenham River Nature Reserve.
- Enhance local awareness about native species including beneficial management techniques.
- Identify habitat for rare species and wildlife corridors for potential land protection.
- Model an approach to restoration in the spirit and practice of reconciliation, and build cross-cultural understanding about the importance of decolonizing conservation.
Spread the Word
Follow Ontario Nature and our campaign announcements on social media leading up to Giving Tuesday. Please reach out to your networks and share our Giving Tuesday posts on social media to support the conservation of this biodiverse watershed.
You will receive an official charitable tax receipt for your donation.
If you have any questions or would like to make your gift by phone, please call Kiran Singhachaudhury at 1-800-440-2366 ext. 234.
You can also send your gift by mail to our Toronto office. The address is at the bottom of the page. Please indicate that the donation is for Giving Tuesday.