- This event has passed.
BUTTERFLY & DRAGONFLY COUNT CHALLENGE
July 23 - July 24$10
Count on your own or enter a team of up to 3 individuals (within your bubble) to count within an assigned area of the designated Carden Alvar circle (see the map highlighting the designated area below) on the following days:
DRAGONFLY COUNT – THURSDAY JUL 23, 2020
BUTTERFLY COUNT – FRIDAY JULY 24, 2020
Teams or individuals may register for both days if desired. All will RECEIVE THEIR ASSIGNED COUNT AREA in the circle using a random lottery draw where they will count. This will be sent by email the week of the counts.
COST (per count day):
Individual – $10
2 Person Team – $20
3 Person Team – $30
MAKE IT A MINI- ENTO-GETAWAY!
Stay overnight at Green Events & Programs located on 50 acres of varied habitats with golf course, pond, wetlands, swamps, forests and meadows with camping facilities in a rough format. This area is close to the shores of Lake Dalrymple and well within the count circle. Participants can now spend two great days in the field, counting during the 240-hour period that suits them best, recording their effort in time and distance traveled. Evenings can be spent social distancing at the camping area with evening campfire, moth observation, along with croquet, horseshoes, golf and camp fire (depending on fire ban regulations), all for a ridiculously low price of $10/person.
FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT:
or Email email@example.com
THERE WILL BE A TROPHY FOR THE INDIVIDUAL/TEAM WITH THE HIGHEST COUNT OVER THE 2 DAYS AND PRIZES FOR THE OVERALL FIRST AND SECOND PLACE TEAMS!
- Teams may not consist of more than 3 individuals
- You may choose to count alone as an individual
- Individuals or teams must register in advance online HERE
- Teams must be made up of those in your current social bubble
- Individuals or teams can go out to count dragonflies for as long as desired between 12am and 11:59pm on July 23 2020
- Individuals or teams can go out to count butterflies for as long as desired between 12am and 11:59pm on July 24 2020
- All counts must be made within the individual or teams assigned area within the designated map area
- Proper identification of species is very important. Use the PUBLICATIONS BELOW and see the SPECIES LIST page to assist in identification and if you are still unsure send both a dorsal and side view picture of the specimen to Bob Bowles at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provincial social distancing rules of 10ft between those not in your bubble must be followed during your count
- The total count for the individual if counting alone or one total count for the whole team if counting in a team must be entered for both the dragonfly count day and the butterfly count day
- During the count blocking of roads or traffic is not permitted
Field Guide to The Dragonflies and Damselflies of Algonquin Provincial Park and the Surrounding Area, 2nd edition (link coming soon)
Click on the title to purchase at a special discounted rate at Manticore Books
PLEASE STAY SAFE AND WATCH
FOR POISON IVY AND WILDLIFE!
BE AWARE THAT THE NEAREST HOSPITAL IN THE CASE OF AN EMERGENCY IS ORILLIA SOLDIERS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL